Starting childcare is an exciting time for children and parents alike, but the transition away from babyhood and into early education and care is not always easy. Children usually have mixed emotions about starting childcare, but as a parent there are a few things you can do to help your child settle in.
Helping your child prepare for early education and care will ensure the start of their education journey is an enjoyable and rewarding experience from the very first day. To help you on your way, Robyn Taylor Child Development Centre have compiled some helpful advice for parents.
- Give your child a familiar toy or object to take to childcare. Let the Educators know about your child’s favourite song or story.
- Implement a gradual start to the childcare environment. Participate in the scheduled orientations, and half day attendance, gradually build up your child’s attendance to full days that mimic a typical drop off and pick up time.
- Create a goodbye ritual and keep it consistent e.g. a hug and a kiss; a high five and say, “I love you. You’re going to have a great day. I will see you later.”
- Talk to your baby about the childcare. Show them pictures of the facility, the room, the educators via the childcare app.
- Children absorb more than you expect. Read books about going to childcare / school.
- Expect some tears. Children are learning to adapt to different social situations. This helps with developing flexibility and adaptability.
- Do not extend your farewell, as this will prolong the separation anxiety.
- Predict a positive outcome and a positive day. Maintain a positive attitude, as children sense the parents’ anxiety. Say your goodbye and walk away. Don’t look back.
- Discuss the childcare routine using pictures from your child’s day (via the childcare app).
- Parents check in with your own conflict about separation from your child. A parents’ conflict fuels separation anxiety in a child.
- Remember early childhood educators are trained to deal with separation anxiety of children.
- Talk to your baby/child and create excitement about their new adventure and experiences at childcare.
Good childcare is very positive for babies’, toddlers’ and pre-schoolers’ growing independence, learning, socialisation, and resilience.
Welcome to Robyn Taylor Child Development Centre
We want every child to feel welcome and have a positive start to the next chapter of their lives. If there is anything we can do to ease your child’s transition and better meet your expectations, please don’t hesitate to let us know.
Robyn Taylor Childcare Centre Croydon is enrolling now. Call us on 9705 8309 or click here to enrol your child. We look forward to meeting you soon.