ART AND BRAIN DEVELOPMENT:
1. Art assists building motor skills, and increases dexterity and co- ordination. Scribbling backwards and forwards is the forerunner to writing.
2. Art helps bilateral hand use and eye tracking.
3. Art gives children a sense of achievement, assisting in confidence building.
4. Art promotes the growth of cognitive, emotional, and psychomotor pathways.
5. Art activities help wire the brain for successful learning, assisting imagination, observation and creativity.
6. Painting helps children learn about patterns and shapes, assisting visual spatial awareness on a page.
7. Painting allows children to express their feelings via a choice of colours, strokes, shapes, and characters. Children can create stories, externalising feelings.
PAINTING CAN ASSIST THE EXPRESSION OF EMOTION.
Studies indicate by the age of three, children show emotions through drawing and art: they recognised happiness sadness and fear.
LET’S ENCOURAGE VISUAL SPATIAL ORGANISATION, FINE MOTOR DEVELOPMENT, EXPRESSION OF FEELINGS and CREATIVITY! LET’S HAVE FUN EXPLORING THE COLOURS OF THE RAINBOW!
Robyn Taylor BA(Macq), MA(Syd), Dip Clinical Psychology(Syd)